DNREC Announces Beach Access Closures Due to Storm Damage
Unsafe drop-offs along the dunes where the crossings meet the beach necessitated the closures. Additionally, very little beach is available for drive-on surf fishing even during low tide at the closed locations.
As of Thursday, May 26, the following beach access points remain open:
- The Point, Herring Point and Gordons Pond crossings at Cape Henlopen State Park. The northernmost pedestrian crossing at The Point parking lot is closed.
- 3Rs crossing at Delaware Seashore State Park.
- North (York), Middle and South crossing at Fenwick Island State Park.
The following beach access points are closed:
- Navy crossing at Cape Henlopen State Park.
- Keybox, Conquest and Faithful Steward crossings at Delaware Seashore State Park. The Conquest pedestrian crossings are also closed.
Delaware State Parks Expected to
Set Visitation Record
In 2019, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, DNREC’s Division of Parks and Recreation
had 47,250 active annual passes that allow daily entry into Delaware State Parks compared with 61,744 in 2021, a 31% increase.